Saturday, April 4, 2015

Summer time

In the state of Florida there is only two seasons, spring and summer, and right now we are transitioning from spring to summer. This means that its getting hotter and just stepping outside causes a waterfall of sweat, but it also means that people are coming to the site on their free time. The summer time is a great time for historic sites because we have visitors come and we also have summer camp events for the students. At Debary they do events an games that were around from 1870-1940, the time that people lived in the house. We also do stuff for the Echo Rangers as well. To get read for the summer time, Amber is having me put together a board about Debary and the things that we do. Its going to be on display at an Earth day event on April 16. The board will have some history about the site, but will also have pictures and displays about what the events that we will be doing during the summer. I have to get together with Kayce and find out the events, but it shouldn't take to long to put together.

On Saturday I gave a tour to a mom and 5 kids. I've given a tour to a family before but not to this many kids. The oldest child was actually doing a project on the site so I tried to help him as much as I could. I told him the basic history of the house and let him take pictures of the outside of the house as well. He wanted to take pictures of the inside of the house but we don't allow that, and he was fine with that. He got all the information that he needed and the mom really liked the grounds and even asked about the stable to rent out possibly in the future.

I'm still working on my power point presentation on disaster relief at historic sites and to be honest, I'm feeling nervous. There isn't a lot on the subject of protecting historic sites. We do have a book at the visitor center from 2009 that Volusia County came out with that talks about how to handle disasters that I have been using as a guide to my power point, but I still feel like I don't know the topic enough. I still  have time to learn the topic more, but its getting to crunch time for my Lemonade Lecture and I also not a big fan of talking in front of people. Then I have to worry about people asking me questions that I might now know on the topic. I know this is probably nothing to worry about and I'll be fine in the end, but if there is one thing I'm good at, it is stressing out about something tiny.

Next week will be a little more exciting then this week, we have another wedding on Saturday, which are always exciting. Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment