Sunday, April 19, 2015

Turtle day

This week at DeBary has been super exciting. On Saturday Ponce Inlet had an event called Turtle day and it was to help bring awareness to turtle nesting season and also for people to look out for them on the beach. Kayce told me that we had a table at the event to bring awareness to DeBary Hall and hopefully get people interested in history. I will say this is one of my favorite things about working at a historic site. I love going to these events to get the people interested in history and preservation. we set up out table, which I don't have a picture of since I left my phone in the car, but it looked great. The only problem was is that Lyonia Conservation and the National Park Service were on either side of me so they got most of the attention from people. Oh and Lyonia brought some animals so I couldn't compete with that. Although I had fun at the event, it did bother me that we didn't have more people come up to our booth. We were like the awkward step-child and we didn't fit in because we were history while every one else was more environmental. But this also pushed me to think of better ways to get people interested in the booth for any other events. I was thinking about having coloring pages for the kids that were of some of the animals you can find on the grounds and also one of the house. While getting the attention of the kids might not make the parents want to come, it makes us known and thats what is important. To thank me for helping Kayce took me out for lunch at a laid back restaurant that looks over the river, which was beautiful until the sky opened up and it poured for the rest of our meal.

On Tuesday I focused more on my presentation. I'm still worried and I don't want people to think that I don't know what I'm doing. For me it is just a hard topic because I'm a history major and I don't know anything on Disaster Relief.  If it was just on the history of the house and about why it's important then that would have been perfect but its not and I'm getting very frustrated with it all to be honest. I know I will get everything done but I want to look like I know what I'm talking about and answer questions if I'm asked and be confident in it. Right now I can tell you, I'm not confident at all in this presentation at all. But the show must go on.

Until next time
( and hopefully more positive!)

No comments:

Post a Comment