Saturday, March 28, 2015

Warm weather

 
This week at Debary was nice and sunny. The weather was warm which I was very happy about since I was tired of the cold weather. On Saturday we had a busy day. We had a wedding scheduled, a Lemonade Lecture, and Eco Rangers. When days get busy like this, we split up into groups so cover everything. I went with the Eco Rangers, which is a program for young kids to get them interested in history, preservation, and doing out door activities. For this event, we had a lady from the Florida Public Archaeology Network come and talk about clay, pottery and how we can learn about people and cultures by looking at pieces of broken pottery. She also brought clay with her so that the kids could make their own pots.
Making pots
Some of the tools the kids used


I think this is a great program. Now a days, most kids are interested in their phones or going on computer and they don't go outside much. Through the Echo Rangers, we get the kids interested in preservation and what's around them so they can be more aware. The lady from the Archaeology Network also brought history into the program by tell them about certain groups or tribes and how they would make pots and what they would use them for. I was a little nervous when I was first helping with the program because I don't have a lot of experience with teaching kids, but it went very well. The kids really enjoyed making pots and they also learned about what you can find out by looking at a piece of pottery. I also think its great that we have some of the programs at Debary because it brings in people and they might also want to learn about the site. Even if the event of program doesn't have to do with the site, it still brings attention to the site which is always a good thing.
 
On Tuesday it was a slow day, but still nice. I gave two tours which I can say is getting easier and easier to do lately. I have my own groove and know what to talk about when giving the tour. One of the tours I did had two kids who did not look like they were interested since they had been there before. I took this opportunity to get them involved by asking them questions on different things in the house such as what a bed warmer was, a chamber pot, and also the servants bell. This seemed to help them get through the tour a littler easier and the mom seemed happy that her kids where getting involved. This is important because you want you guest to not only feel like them learned something but also enjoy the tour.
 
Until next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment