Thursday, February 5, 2015

An Old Discovery

     Saturday started off pretty slow. The weather has been absolutely amazing at DeBary so it's hard to stay inside and do research when it's so nice out.  Since the site is very popular with brides, we sometimes have meetings with them to discuss renting out the barn. We had three brides come in on Saturday to deal with some things for their wedding. Most of the brides have the weddings on Saturday so I will probably see one sometime during this semester.

     Around 3:30 Kayce took Dawn and I on a little field trip to the old pool. I was excited to see this since many of the other items or building from the house are not around anymore. Kayce warned me that it wasn't in the best shape and she was right. 

  The pool was first built Fredrick's time at the house.  The pool was actually spring fed with wood sides and the bottom was made from sand. The sand actually ended up filtering the water. It's not know if Fredrick did that on purpose, but this wasn't the first time that Fredrick did something that was ahead of his time.


Later on the wood sides where taken off and cement was put in. There was also a pump that got added to control house much water was in the pool at one time. There was one pool house when Fredrick was at the house, but a second one was added later one.  Seeing the pool really sparked a nerve with me. Something so old should be taken better care of. But the sources for it aren't around and it upsets me to see something just fall to disrepair.

On Tuesday was a little slow. We didn't get a tour till almost 2 in the afternoon. I worked on my tour and Amber actually suggested that I put it into powerpoint to help myself and then print it out onto notecards. It better actually because my notes have so many lines through them and I started to have a hard time knowing what to use during the tour. Around 3:30 we had one tour come in. Though it was later and Kayce told them they would get a shortened tour, they wanted to take it. Kayce asked if I wanted to come and possible do part of it, just to see how it is. I not gonna lie, I panicked, I didn't think I was ready yet! But she said that I knew more than I believed. I didn't do the whole tour but I talk about the Florida freeze during the 1894 and also about some of the rooms upstairs. It was great way to start off, but I don't think I'm ready to do a whole tour by myself yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment