Thursday, February 12, 2015

A storm is brewing

     It was another fun week at DeBary. On Saturday we had another Lemonade Lecture that was about how to survive in the wildness of Florida. Now, I like to walk on trails but if it's more than 4 miles, then it's not going to happen. But the lecture was very informative when it came to what you should look out for, trail markers, and even how to dress and what to put in your backpack if you are planning a long walk or hike. Around lunch time Kayce's husband and kids came to have lunch and Kayce asked if I would like to try and give my first tour. I was nervous about it but I said sure. I will say I didn't talk as much as I wanted to since I felt like I had to cater to the kids and I kew they wouldn't be interested in everything I would say. Her husband was interested though and I talked to him about the house and I even answered some questions he had. Although it wasn't exactly a full tour, it gave me a feel of it. I'm pretty sure I'm just going to have to suck up the courage and just do a tour one day, no matter how nervous or unprepared I am.

     On Tuesday Amber decided to give me another job to do and what I will be giving a powerpoint on at the end of my internship. I was to go through the emergence boxes that we have for every building on the property and categorize what's inside and what we need. Now I know I always make a comment about the weather, but living in Florida you have to take great care with it since it's always changing. Since we have hurricane season, we have to be prepared just incase the House gets hit and there are damages to it. While I'm making sure the emergences kits have all the necessary items, I will also be getting some information together to explain how to keep a historic site ready for any weather and what to do.
One of the Emergence Kits to organize


     It's going to be interesting to say the least since I know nothing on the topic, but that also means that I'm going in with a clean slate and it might be easier to learn the information. I will say I never thought about this aspect of preservation before so it's going to be a great thing to learn. We'll see how it goes.

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment